Say theoretically that you want to create hundreds of Online Media units over two and a half months, with a staff of three.

Concept. Design. Direction. Production




Selection of some of the hundreds of units created

Landing Page - also powered by the CMS

In 2008, Alltel was purchased by Verizon. Practically, this meant that the typically busy holiday season would be more so, and more unpredictable - as dwindling stock and a need to reduce inventory would create a need for on-demand price changes and featured inventory. The only issue, is that in order to do this, Campbell-Ewald would need to hire at least 3 more developers devoted full-time to the task.

We had extensive learnings in years and promotions past. Version Control becomes a major issue as price changes occur across a lot of moving pieces. We also didn't have the staff to support this without going totally insane. Instead, I created a dynamic XML powered feed, that would work through a set of framework swfs.

The twist is that typical data-fed banners look like it. OUR units could not look like that: they needed to perform at a retail-ready level, and do so during a super-saturated time period - they also had to look good, and because of our impressions have flexibility to protect from burnout.

I developed a system that would allow for skinnable templates with built in animation behaviors and flexible text and element placement to ensure layouts that would work. All the pieces were created granularly, and fed off of two XML files: one to control phones, copy points, and prices - and the other to control the units they'd run in and their skin.

For two and a half months, Campbell-Ewald turned into an Online Media Host provider, with at one time, the server load requiring more than the Navy. In the end, we served hundreds of units, and when the performance metrics came in we ended up saving hundreds of man hours, and the banner metrics were above our unit benchmarks.